This last few days i have been powering through the G.I.S, i have painted 34 of 64 so i am getting there pretty quickly and these guys just take paint so easily!
The photo above is the Brown and green contingent of the unit. For this box i have gone with the troop look with the addition of a skin tone highlight and also i shall be basing them which is something i do if the customer asks but is not included in the price usually.
I wanted their bases to be a bit special as i believe the Troop look really looks best when you use a nice base, this is often the reason i ask my clients for "based" photos of the miniatures i have worked on for them. I believe that the base really brings everything together.
To ensure this "extra detail" was taken care of i begun looking at miniature flowers (a common sight in north france battlegrounds in the summers of the 1940s) but i could only find particularly expensive ones. Each pack i looked at was about £3 for maybe ten flowers or so. One of said packs litterally just some silflor tufts with yellow flock stuck to them. I really liked the look of this pack but i could not afford that steep price given i had 64 miniatures to base! i decided to get some Flower Foliage in the color i liked.
(also they a nice stark contrast to the grey bases which makes them really pop on the bases of the miniatures and brings out the brownish yellow of the straps on the miniatures all the while highlighting the miniatures military importance against a more soft and beautiful symbolic imagery)
I used just a tiny nail scissor cut snip of the flowers and tweezed them onto some silflor tufts with super glue gently. The result was lovely. not amazing but pretty cool! I am getting progressively better at this technique as can be seen in the following photos. I find the trick is just o be selective and TAKE YOUR TIME! As with most things in this job!