I have officially finished my ww1 commission and i loved doing it! the colors were fun and the research was intense. there where many an occasion where i was simply glued ot my laptop for an hour whilst i searched the correct tone of green for the german outfit or the combination of colors for the helmets.
i sincerely hope my client is happy. and these are all ready boxed up and good to post tomorow morning.
below is a big group shot. sadly not the best angles but there are so many i would have to photograph groups of five front and back for full coverage of the paint job and i do not have the time at this current juncture in 2014.
enjoy this image
Below is a small teaser image of the next order also. the next order is a mixed bag of post apocalyptic miniatures and wizards. i can't wait to put brush to miniature on this lot. but first there is a matter of glueing stuf!
As you may have noticed in my recent pictures i have been photographing against a nice sheen wood surface. in an attempt to become more efficient with my work i have take the time to look for a petite desk on which i can dedicate time to my miniature hobby.
i have more space for other things and new projects and consequently i have finished this tasty little numbers.
check out my progress below.
The new desk. serving to help me work more efficiently and also a polite reminder to GET S*** DONE!. i do love the drive it gives me glancing to my left and seeing the desk and thinking "i have to finish those skin tones" or something similar.
The old west collection continues to grow and aid in my learning new techniques and skills all the time, i have experimented with extreme edging as well as old school lazy drybrushing techniques and also lots of inking. i have also given a lot of thought whilst painting the miniatures to try and get a genuinely unique feel to each and "dress" them as i thought perhaps they would be.
This little collection was inspired by a bunch of plaster wrap i had left over from another project. this stuff is awesome and you could make anything from flags to bed cloths to adobe front stone wall if you wanted.
i managed to pick up a very cheap box of airfix in the charity shop. i used some of the bits from it on this piece as detailing and i mixed some of it together to make little dioramas like the shop stalls and the fire side.
slowly but surely i am building my old west terrain collection. following my temporary christmas job in retail i have TONS of cardboard and bits from the stock room and i plan to bash out more buildings throughout the year :)
check out my most recent project below.
The door, window, ladder and structural prongs are all balsa wood, cut and textured with a dry pen for effect. the wheel is a piece of balsa shaped into a perfect hexagon, after which i positioned a load of card slats, cut to size, and placed them on a forward angle to imply they once churned through a small river.
i built the house itself with cardboard and masking tape. that was literally all i used. the masking tape makes for quick building and this being my test adobe i am very happy with the result.
the walls and floor are flocked with mixed sand and then painted slightly diferent beiges.
the final addition is three separate flocks or grasses. i used dark and light green static grass for a trampled shrub look, and large green siflor tufts for small plants.
so having recently had a crazy busy new year and a big old family one at that, i have spent the last week and a half catching up on painting and personal projects.
Below, first, is my latest completed commission. these two cool cats are as gangster as my imagination gets, i originally intended to finish these in sports tops but the extreme curves and waves in the top made it a little hard to paint the logo's etc. so instead i finished them with just a red color.
Next is one of my favorite and most challenging commissions to date. This commission consists of two small later war (ww1) forces. given the beautiful details on the miniatures, and the plethora of different straps, flasks and bags i had to limit my creativity here (due to the job being a troop standard paint job). I decided to use a simplistic representative theme for both force.
i literally struggled pinning down the color of the German uniform for days, lots and lots of googling and looking for authentic uniform photos. eventually i found a website with many definitive photos confirming for me it was not a grey green but in fact almost a catachan green. let's just say i was glad to find those.
a group shot of the germans and the british also. (one german has been dipped, see if you can spot him!)
Expect more updates before i finish these guys this week. i have also been working hard on personal projects, and that will be in the next post.